Dec 22, 2010

Wavebird

I actually finished a little something recently. This was one of the test knits that I didn't finish on time. The less we say about that the better. I feel like a huge failure.

Happily while I failed, the shawlette is a win from start to finish. I'll start with the yarn which is Pagewood Farm Denali. I really loved working with this yarn. The feel of it is lovely and the dye job is just perfect. The color is called Violet Fusion and mostly it's a soft grey-violet as you'd expect but there are shots of a brighter, truer, purple and some that are a wonderful sage green and all together it balances perfectly.

DSC_0665

The pattern is Wavebird by Christiane Burkhard. Most of the knitting is simple garter stitch which makes it perfect for TV knitting and that's where I did quite a lot of it. Then there are 2 bands of lace. The second, wider, one is nice but not terribly unusual. It's just the type of thing that fits in so well with so many patterns.

DSC_0662

The other, narrower, band of lace is new to me and it makes me smile. It looks like a series of Cheerio's or grommets and I think that it's really neat.

DSC_0664

You can't really tell from these pictures (and my lousy blocking job) but this is actually not a standard triangle. It's more of a set of curved wings and it get's that shape in part from the yarnovers at the start of each row. While it imparts a lovely shape to the piece I also love the finished effect of having a delicate, lacey, edge.

Love, love, love!

4 comments:

margene said...

The color of your yarn shows off the pattern beautifully! I love it, too!! Nice work.

Carole Knits said...

That's really lovely.

Manise said...

So pretty and yet so different! Love it!

Anonymous said...

.... it makes a nice baby shawl if you need a gift...